Saturday, May 31, 2014

Goodbye May


It’s the last day of May! For those lost in a fog of baseball games, graduations, dances, lacrosse games, showers, proms, softball games, recitals and spring cleaning, you’re welcome for the calendar update! Or is that just my schedule?



Anyway, it’s the last day of May, and I can’t decide if I’m happy about that, or sad.

On the one hand, I can cross off at least 3 major events that have been hanging over my head and stressing me out. (Three down, four to go!) I feel like I can start to breathe again.

On the other hand, May has come and gone and I’ve missed the opportunity to sit back and appreciate nature coming to life again after that long, cold, brutal winter.  It’s a joy to see color again after so many months of gray.

Looking back, I feel like I’ve lived a lifetime in these past 31 days. I’ve celebrated my son’s college graduation; sent my daughter off to her Senior Prom; helped organize a Post Prom party for 350 kids; opened our summer house for the season; celebrated my son’s 23rd birthday; prepped my daughter for her visit to the high school (which she will be attending next year); wrapped up two volunteer jobs; and started the very difficult discussion with my father about downsizing/moving him from our family home (a home he’s lived in for 56 years). Talk about your highs and lows.

But I feel like that’s what May is – a time of change, a time of awakening. Closing the doors on some things while anticipating new opportunities and beginnings.

If only I could slow down a bit and appreciate it.

But life marches on. There are more graduations to attend, dances to go to and recitals to prepare for. And then… summer!

Just a few weeks of craziness left and then we can calm our nerves while we appreciate the longer days. We can relax our shoulders and stretch our legs and breathe in the fresh air of summer.

Goodbye May 2014. You will be remembered for your good times and bad, your highs and lows, your sunshine and rain.

Welcome June – be kind and feel free to dawdle. I’m in no hurry to see you move on.

Rabbit Rabbit

2 comments:

  1. Be kind and feel free to dawdle! I couldn't agree more. Don't you find that as the kids get older time just zooms? There's a glimmer of hope on my horizon. For the first time since 2002 summer isn't chalk full of summer swim club for us. No meets or practices. My son is coaching but I don't have to be there every single day. Yes! Best of luck with your dad. That's a hard decision to make. May it be a smooth transition for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny isn't it. When we're busy w/ kids activities, we can't wait until we have free time, and when we have that free time, we reminisce about those crazy days. I've learned that time really does fly and in the blink of an eye, our kids are grown. Enjoy your summer! And thanks so much for "stopping by!"

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a note and let me know what you're thinking! But please remember, we're all friends here!